Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Access Denied

Another title for the post could be "The Time I Almost Got Kicked Out of My Friend's Funeral Service."

Oh yeah. You're interest is peaked, isn't it?

This past weekend my friend Manny was killed in a car crash. He was easily one of the most fabulous people I have ever met- he was incredibly smart, self-trained, loved to label everything, and how to get into all the hot spots of Philly. He also had a big hand in helping me land the job I have now, and for that I will be eternally gratefully to him.

Today was his memorial service and I decided to pay my respects. I skuttled in just as the service started and sat in the back of the church while my friends and co-workers sat in the front. After the lovely and tear-inducing service, I went to meet up with my friend Connie in the lobby. Then I was approached by a girl I have never seen before in my life.

"Honey, what's your name?" she says to me. I give it to her and she continues, "mmm hmm.. and how did you know Manny?"

"We worked together for a number of years" I told her.

"Mmm hmm. and have you ever meet Shelly (his fiance)?"

"Yeah. I haven't seen her in a couple years, but we've met."

Now at this point, the girl kind starts to walk away, but not really. Connie and I are looking at each other like ' can we go? does she want to say more? should we offer our condolences? what??' Then she walks back towards me and whispers:

"I believe you were asked not to come."

What??? At this point I am searching for any indication of how I could have upset Shelly or his family enough for them to not want me there.

"But.... I...." is all I can stammer out.

"They don't want you here." she says matter-of-factly.

"But I just talked to Shelly last night... she called my office.... I... don't.. understand..."

My heart is racing and Connie is looking at me with wide eyes. I start apologizing and telling the girl that if they really want me to, I'll leave, but I didn't know what I could have possibly done to upset the family. The girl disappears for a second and retrieves one of Manny's sisters. She asks the sister "Is this the girl?"

The sister says, "What? No. No! That's not her."


The sister then apologizes to me saying something about them not wanting the press there, but I was only half listening. I had so many emotions running through me at this point, I just wanted out at this point.

I still don't know who they confused me with, but never in my life have I been asked to leave a funeral before.

I guess there is a first time for everything.

I should probably note that I was not angry when this happened- afterwards I found the situation humorous, and I know Manny would have as well. He loved to hear about the crazy situations I got myself into! I could see me sharing the story with him over a couple of drinks. He would let out that deep chuckle he had and say "Always have a story, don't you. Drama, drama, drama."

Always & Forever,
ME.




In Memory of Manny
1977- 2010

Rest in Peace my fabulous friend. I'll be looking for you in the clouds.

8 comments:

Oona Johnson said...

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. This scenario sounds like something that would happen to me... What a crazy girl.

Danielle and Clint said...

Holy Cow! I hope that woman feels a fool, seriously! I am so sorry to hear about your friends passing. He sounded like he was very loved.

LB's oldest brother said...

I bet she confused you with Jenipher (said with a head toss)

nina@themissadventuresofnina said...

I'm so sorry. Also for the drama that you have to go thru

Shannon said...

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your buddy. He looks like a nice guy.

LB, why you always gotta be startin drama everywhere you go? Were you wearing your hat that had the white card that says "Press" on it? I know you wear it.

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

I'm so sorry about your friend. Sounds like he will really be missed.

And, I think this may be the first time I've heard of someone almost getting kicked out of a funeral.

Anonymous said...

My friend and I were sitting right behind you for the service. I was kind of crazy and inappropriate for a funeral. We could hear everything inside the service. I known him for the last 10 years and it still doesn't seem real.

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog said...

I'm so sorry for your loss :(.