Monday, December 20, 2010

Simple Holiday Decor

Now that the holiday season is upon us, it's time to break out some more decor posts.

Every year Mommacita and I do a historical house tour in her town.  The houses are decorated by the local flower club, and they do such a wonderful job.

Note: You aren't supposed to take pictures.  I didn't find that out until after I took these. Oops.

One of the things I love the most about this house tour is the simple things they use to decorate.  My mom and I seriously say, "Oh my gosh!  Why didn't I think of that?"  probably about 753 times.

First we have a beautiful mantle decorated with Christmas balls, carnations and evergreens 


Upon closer inspection, the "vase" holding the flowers is actually two margarita classes with the bases glued together.  They added cranberries to the glass instead of water for extra texture.

In the kitchen is an original hearth and a table that has been decorated with things you would normally find around your kitchen.

On the mantle is a scale, pie tin and hanging down are cookie cutters on ribbon


On the table there were three vases filled with different fruits as well as many other utensils, such as potato mashers

My favorite thing:  under these graters were tea lights.  It's hard to see from the picture, but the cast the most beautiful glow.

Go ahead and admitt it.  You totally said "Oh, why didn't I think of that" at least twice.  I know you did. 

Always & Forever,
  ME

4 comments:

bethany said...

Oh my gosh. Seriously...why didn't I think of that? The margarita class? The graters? So simple but so genius. Also, I love the carnations. I usually like them, but wouldn't have thought of them as a Christmas flower. Adorable!

Also...I'm guilty of taking photos on a nonphoto tour. Once, I was at a museum with touring pieces from the Lourve, and I whipped out my camera to take a photo...my gosh, a guard practically tackled me and put me in handcuffs. Glad they weren't that strict on your house to house tour. :)

Shannon said...

Cookie cutter ornaments. Fa-reaking genius. And adorable. But not as adorbale as the one I GOT IN THE MAIL TODAY!

Have I mentioned I love you? And that bird? You are amazing. What a fun lil surprise.

Lynett said...

Ok, ok, you're a genius...lovin' the creative ideas! Keep 'em coming!

Amanda said...

The margarita glasses will be done at my house next year...guaranteed. Thanks for posting these (illegal) pictures :)