Let's blame it on the season. That, and my insane consumption of pumpkin- flavored baked goods.
(Hell, if I can't blame the pregnancy on any of these cravings, I'm gonna find something else to blame it on.)
Anyway, I had to come up with dinner the other night and I was tired of eating chicken. I remembered we had pork chops in the freezer. I saw the bushel of apples I had just picked up at the super market the other day and after a quick search via the Almighty Google, I found this great recipe. This comes JEGs approved, too.
Caramel Apple Pork Chops
4 Pork chops
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoon brown sugar
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tablespoon butter
2 tart apples- peeled, cored and sliced
2 tablespoons pecans (optional. I opted out because I just didn't have them at the house. Maybe next time.)
1. Preheat oven to 175 F. Place a medium dish in the oven to warm.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brush chops lightly with oil and place in hot pan. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, turning occasionally or until done. Transfer to the warm dish, and keep warm in the preheated oven.
3. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, salt and pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add butter to skillet, and stir in brown sugar mixture and apples. Cover and cook until apples are just tender. Remove apples with a slotted spoon and arrange on top of chops. Keep warm in the preheated oven.
4. Continue cooking sauce uncovered in skillet, until thickened slightly. Spoon sauce over apples and chops. If you are wild and crazy and did the pecans, go ahead and sprinkle them over top.
5. Forget about conversation during dinner. You'll be too busy shoveling food into your gullet.
Always & Forever,