Thursday, October 6, 2011

A Formal Introduction

Say hello to Hunter Fillmore

Our little monster arrived at 10:16 am on Saturday, October 1, 2011.  He weighted 6lbs 14 oz and is 21 inches long.

Friday afternoon I had my weekly appointment.  I went in a little bitter because I had been wishing hoping praying that I wouldn't make it to the appointment.  I got more craptastic news when I was told I hasn't dilated anymore.  My OB wanted me to try to make it through the weekend on my own, but scheduled for me to be induced on October 4.   In the meantime, she had me head over to the hospital for a Non-Stress Test to make sure the little guy was ok in there.   He passed with flying colors.  I, on the other hand, had blood pressure that was through the roof and they wouldn't let me leave until it had come down.

After an hour or so of observation, the nurse came in and said "Change of plans.  Since you are here, your are over due and your blood pressure is so high, we are just going to induce you tonight.  No point in waiting".  So I called JEGs to tell him the news, and waddled over to a delivery room to get changed.  This was about 3:00pm.

The plan was to give me Cervidil to soften my cervix for 12 hours and then I would get Pitocin to start the actual labor.  I  got the Cervidil around 9:30pm (by a male doctor who had the hands of a construction worker.. ouch!), but it had to be taken out around 2 am because I was getting very strong contractions.   I was still hooked up to a machine that would take my blood pressure every 15 minutes, so between the cuff going off and the contractions, I wasn't getting a lot of sleep.   I was given Benedryl to help me sleep and something for the pain of the contractions.

Around 5:00 am I felt something dripping on my leg.  I woke up JEGs, who was sleeping on a cot next to me, and said I thought my water broke.  The nurse tested it, and said she didn't think it was.  I asked to go to the bathroom, and as I stood up, there was suddenly a puddle of water on the floor under my feet.  THAT was my water breaking.  My cervix was checked, but she said I was still not dilated very much, and it was posterior.  An hour later the contractions were were really strong and a solid 5 minutes apart.  I was given more medication for the pain, but it wasn't helping at all.

Around 9:00 am, I felt like I had to do some business in the bathroom, so I asked the nurse for help getting up.  She said before I went, she wanted to check my dilation.  At this point I was fully dilated and the feeling of having to use the bathroom was actually the baby heading down the canal.

I asked about an epidural, but I was told there wasn't even enough time for a local anesthetic.  Before I knew it, a nurse grabbed one leg, JEGs grabbed the other, there was a spotlight on my vag and I was told to start pushing.  Twenty-five minutes later, the little monster was born.

My blood pressure continued to be super high after the birth so I was given magnesium sulfate and a catheter.  Let's talk about how that was THE MOST miserable 24 hours of my life.  The magnesium sulfate makes you very groggy and hot, and I couldn't get out of bed because of the catheter, so I basically felt like I had the flu. I was so useless;  I couldn't breast feed, I couldn't change him, even just holding him took all the energy I had.    JEGs was such a superstar though.  He took care of all of the feedings, changings, and rocking him to sleep.  I didn't think it was possible, but I have fallen even more in love with him.

I didn't get my drugs, and I didn't get my September baby, but let's be honest-- nothing about this pregnancy was well planned.  This little man is the epitome of life happening while you are making other plans.

But you know what,  I wouldn't give up this little monster for anything.  I love him so much.

Always & Forever,
  ME (and Hunter)


Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

He's beautiful!!! Congrats, congrats!

Lynett said...

Wow, he so gorgeous! Congrats!!!!

kp said...

AhhhhhH!!!! Congrats! So excited for you, hope you both are doing well!

Christen said...

Awww... he's perfect! Congrats!!

Danielle and Clint said...

OMG!!!!! Congrats!! I am so excited for you and JEGS! He is so sweet looking...You were a trooper to do this with no drugs! I think I would of ripped someone's head off. lol. Congrats again!

Katie said...

Hunter is perfect. Congratulations!

Bridget said...

He is definately an adorable little one. Congrats and enjoy every second!

Jenny said...

Congratulations! He's the cutest monster I've ever seen!

*claire* said...

ooooh congrats!! i LOVE the name. hope you all are adjusting to life with a newborn and getting lots of snuggle time. what an adorable little monster. :)

Amanda said...

LB + JEGS congrats to the new little boy! Are you head over heels in love with him right now?! (Seriously have you looked at anything else in the last 12 days?). I can only imagine how full your heart is and how happy you both are!

Lots of love to the family of three,

Freckles Chick said...

LB!!!! I am so sorry I'm so late in telling you this!! Congratulations on your handsome little man!!!! I'm so happy for you guys & it sounds like labor & delivery went fairly smoothly (ugh about the high blood pressure!). Hunter Fillmore! LOVE his name to pieces.

You done good, mama, you done real real real good!!!! =]