Thursday, July 9, 2009

Fashion: Epic Fail.

Ahh, the Maxi Dress.
We've all seen them hanging in our favorite stores since February. The perfect, easy summer dress. Throw it on with a pair of wedges to dress is up or flip flops to bum around on a Saturday afternoon.

I have been coveting these dresses since I first saw them in Target in February. I had dreams of floating through Manayunk with JEGs on a sunny Saturday afternoon, popping in and out of little stores. Girls would stop me on the street and say, "Where did you get that dress?" and I would reply "Oh this rag.. it's just something I threw on". Or bring it to OBX in August; coming home from the beach and putting in on and hanging out with everyone in the living room. Or even walking on the beach late and night....

*sigh*

That was it, I needed to have one.

So a couple of weeks ago I had some time to kill and I stopped by my old favorite NY&Co to try on their verisons. I grabbed a couple colors and skipped to the dressing room. However, I forgot one minor detail:

I am not 5'10. Or a B cup. Or super skinny.

No ma'am. I am in fact a curvacious 5'2 DD.

This is the monstrosity that ensued:




These pictures are taken with super high wedges on too, so flip flops were out of the question.
Don't get me wrong, I have curves and I am totally fine with that. I love my curves, and I've gotten pretty good at dressing them (or so I think). But once in a while I get blinded by the fashion magazines and have to try on something that I should know will never look good on me.
So I slowly returned them to their racks and with my head hung low I left the store.
Always & Forever,
ME

5 comments:

Your Daily Barista said...

HAHAHA. That is a totally bad look. I did the same thing at Old Navy.

Let's face it, our "girlies" need a proper home. If you know what I mean ;-)

Erin Schularick said...

Did you try on a solid color one? The patterned maxi dresses look like tents on me for some reason, but the solid's looked better. I don't even care if they look like crap, they are soooo comfy!

Shannon said...

duddddde, i feel you. I knew these dresses were a bad idea as soon as I saw them EVERYWHERE. But over the past couple months, whenever I'm shopping, I give them a quick little eye and think...maybe. They're all so bright and colorful...But to this date, I've yet to try one on and now, thanks to you and your braveness, I will not. It will look 100 times worse on me and my precious little self esteem can't handle that kind of torture. So thank you LB, thank you.

bethany said...

Seriously, I had the same issue. All of the patterned wispy light linen ones are so heinous on me. (I'm 5'3" and also rocking the curves.) But then I found a very friendly SOLID colored maxi made of a fabric that had a little weight to it, as well as had an actual strap to support the girls a little bit...it worked SO much better.

Do not give up hope! You will find one! :)

Hello, by the way!

LizzieBeth said...

Thanks to all for the comments about the solid colors. Perhaps if I'm feeling brave (and skinny), I'll try one out..