Friday, September 11, 2009

One man's trash...

is totally my treasure- literally!

So I have a confession to make: I totally dumpster dove this past week. I also didn't make the bed this morning. Will you still be my blog reader friend?

I couldn't help it! I was taking the trash out on my way to work, and I saw this little table just sitting there:


I loved it's details! The scalloped edging, the spindled legs, and what fun inlay on the top!



It's a little hard to tell, but it was a little bruised and battered. The ironic thing is JEGs and I were just discussing how I would like to get into furniture rehabbing- and this thing just shows up!
Um, hello? First project? Yes, I think so.
I threw it into the back of my Jeep and ran to Lowes before work. I grabbed some sandpaper, paint brushes, primer and paint.
There was an empty room in the building since the Italians left, so I took it over and made it my work shop. After about 12 hours of work, this is my final outcome:

pardon the dark pictures.
The weather was crap and I was trying my hardest to use natural light




I used Valspar's Lilac Muse all over, except the inlay where I used Valspar's Dove White. I then covered with Minwax Polycrylic Finish. I went with a tone-on-tone look to make the inlay pop.
It's not perfect, but I definatly learned a lot from this peice. I won't like, I kinda wish I had room for it at the a.p.t. But I don't, so I'm going to try my hand at selling it.
I think rehabbing is something I am going to do on the side. I've started scouring Craigslist for stuff, and I am totally taking over the Italian workshop. I will keep the updates coming!
Always & Forever,
ME

3 comments:

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog said...

Nice!!
Don't forget to share if you end up making a good profit- that would be exciting!

bethany said...

Whoa...aren't you just a regular Martha Stewart?

Serious kudos on rescuing this fabulous piece from certain doom! I wish I lived closer...I would definitely fork over some cash to take this off your hands.

Jill said...

Very beachy. excellent job!